I trained as a Neuro-ophthalmologist and have been board certified in Ophthalmology since 1989. I was chief of the Neuro-ophthalmology Section, in the Ophthalmology, Neurology and Neurosurgery departments at Westchester Medical Center, the main teaching hospital of NY Medical College for 29 years. My private practice was there and I trained medical students as well as residents in Ophthalmology, Neurology, Neurosurgery and Pediatrics on a day to day basis.
I have had a lifelong interest in many different healing practices from Ayurvedic Medicine, Chinese Medicine, Herbology, Energy Medicine and Osteopathy. I trained in Craniosacral Therapy with the late John Upledger, D.O, and studied Orthobionomy and Visceral therapy as well.
I am convinced that functional medicine, a holistic branch of medicine that joins nutritional biochemistry, life style and genomics with other features of Integrative Medicine is the future of medicine for the treatment of chronic medical disorders such as diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular disease,digestive disorders, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and autoimmune disorders.
At Somers Eye Center, I practice consultative Neuro-ophthalmology, caring for both children and adults with complex ocular and neurologic disorders. I see patients with optic nerve diseases, double vision, brain disorders that affect visual function, such as Parkinsonism, Stroke, neurodegenerative disorders, children with neurodevelopmental and genetic disorders as well as patients with unexplained visual loss. I treat facial spastic disorders and other disorders with Botox and was one of the first physicians in the tri-state area to begin using Botox for medical problems when in was first approved by the FDA in 1990.
I have diverse interests and enjoy playing cello and guitar, swimming, pilates and fine art. I have two daughters; Zaria, a talented artist in Brooklyn and Leila, a nurse practitioner midwife, in Cambridge, MA.
• B.S. Biology and Psychology, SUNY at Stony Brook, NY 1968-1972
• M.S. in Neurobiology, Rutgers University, 1972-1976
• M.D. at UMDNJ, Rutgers Medical School, 1981
• Internship in Medicine, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Boston, MA1981-1982
• Residency in Ophthalmology, NY Medical College affiliated hospitals, 1983-1986
• Fellowship in Neuro-ophthalmology, Columbia Presbyterian Neurologic Institute 1986-1987
• Associate Professor of Ophthalmology, Neurology and Neurosurgery, NY Medical College, 1987 to present
• Board Certification Institute of Functional Medicine 2016